Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 09, 2009

The Call and then some!

My agent Christine Witthohn of Book Cents Literary Agency rocks!!!!

The series I thought would sell--one that an editor loved and wanted--ended up not going through at the last minute because a book with a similar element tanked two years ago. So here I was at my lowest low.....and then a different editor at the same house said she loved my writing and what else did I have. So my agent gave her a 60 page partial of another series I have, and within 48 hours ...

She just got me 3 book deal for the first 3 books in the series!!!!

So now I am once again on cloud nine! And even better, my agent has some awesome connections in hollywood. I signed with hollywood actor, writer, director (Doug McKeon who was the kid in On Golden Pond and was in a bunch of other movies and TV shows, then turned to directing 10 years ago). He loves the story and wants it to be his next big project in the fall. He said it was high concept, had tremendous potential, and he thought I had a fantastic voice with a real knack for comedy (his words not mine, but I'm still eating them up;)) so once I finish the manuscript, I send it to him and his people adapt it to a screenplay for a feature film and then attach talent to it, then pitch it to their contacts in hollywood, increasing the chances of it actually getting made into a movie by a ton. Even if it never gets made into a movie, he at least brainstormed books two and three with me which is awesome since I didn't have a clue what those would be about. LOL!

So here's the deal. I have a 3 book deal with Sourcebooks Jabberwocky YA line and Rebecca Frazer is my editor (she was formerly with S&S, Random House, and Harper teen). The books are slated to come out in November 2010.

The series name will be THE DIGITAL DIVA SERIES with book one being called DIGITAL DIVA: TALK TO THE HAND!

It's about a teenage girl who is obsessed with technology and has the latest and greatest cell phone that can do anything. But on her way home from her friend's house, she sees this strange glowing object in the woods that is not "of this world" and of course touches it, only to get zapped and knocked out cold. When she wakes up, she can't find her cell anywhere. She soon discovers she has turned into a walking breathing piece of technology with internet capabilities. She has a GPS in her brain, camera in her eyes, and cell phone in her palm, giving new meaning to the words "talk to the hand". Somehow she's tapped into a 911 line, and every time the cute boy she's been crushing on since forever makes her hormones rise too high, she blocks a call and her GPS rerouts her, sending her to the rescue whether she likes it or not. Digital Diva is born and a team of scientists are hot on her heels as she strives to keep her hormones under control and her identity a secret while she desperately tries to find a way to reverse her uniqueness.

Anyway, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. And I get my first sale ribbon at nationals and I'm already approved for my PAN membership. Yay! I'm still in shock it actually happened but thrilled beyone belief!

Just had to share :-)

-- Kari Lee Townsend

Action * Adventure * Romance * Laughter
Fun & Exciting Stories For Any Age!
http://www.karileetownsend.com/

7 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I.AM.SOOOO.THRILLED.FOR.YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, you have worked so hard for this--the series sounds amazing!!! CONGRATS!

xxxx said...

Yayyyyy!!! Congratulations!!!

Patti Shenberger said...

Kari, congratulations that is absolutely fabulous. And best of luck with the movie deal as well. Keep us posted!

Kari Lee Townsend said...

Thanks guys! I seriously am on cloud nine. I just can't express how thrilled I am and just how much this means to me. Good things come to those who wait I guess;))

Nicki Greenwood said...

KARI!!! How could I possibly be more psyched! Your writing rocks, has always rocked, and I've told you so a million times. Congratulations on The Call!!!! Wooooooo!

Jess Riley said...

Kari, How fantastic!!! I am so excited for you. Congratulations!!!!!!

Lexi said...

Well, I haven't been here in a LOOOOONG time, but I still want to congratulate you on your success! Good luck to you!